Congratulations on gaining your refugee status or leave to remain. Magpie Mums, and a few graduates from the FCA have created a step by step guide to getting set up financially (Note, this does not represent FCA Advice). This includes:
- A timeline of steps to take suggested by the Magpie Mums based on their experience and challenges
- Information on proof of identity and proof of address and how to access them
- Information on applying for benefits
- Explanations on how to open and manage a bank account
- Explanation of terms you need to understand when opening a bank account.
- Information on how to stay safe while online banking
- Suggestions on which bills you need to prioritise and where you can find further guidance
Lets Get Started
Documents You Need
For most official tasks, you will be asked for proof of identity and proof of address. You will need to collect other forms of identification.
PROVE YOUR IDENTITY
PROVE YOUR ADDRESS
OPEN YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNT
Upgrade To A High Street Bank Account
WHAT IS A CURRENT ACCOUNT
WHERE TO BANK
DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO OPEN AN ACCOUNT
APPLY FOR BENEFITS
MANAGE YOUR MONEY ONLINE
PAY YOUR BILLS
FIND THE BEST DEALS
HOW TO READ ELECTRICITY METERS
This webpage has been produced by graduates and apprentices as part of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) CEO Challenge. It is a mandatory part of our Development Programme. The FCA sponsors the challenge to encourage graduates to come up with innovative ideas to help members of our community. The content does not form part of any FCA policy.